Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Qingdao Sprummer

 Even though its early June, I still feel like it's Spring because of the mid-70's weather during the day, light breeze, and blooming flowers.  Qingdao really is a beautiful city and here are some photos of what I've been up to the past few weeks:

My parents, Mark and Shauna came to visit me in Qingdao!  Here is a photo of my parents sitting on my couch amidst all my teaching junk.  
It was a great weekend and there will be more pictures of their visit to follow, once everyone gets back to the US of A.  Mark and Shauna are still in Hong Kong or Macau and my parents are on the plane back to Amurrrrica as I am typing this post. 

I barbequed outside with some other teachers at a restaurant near the beach.  Yes, it was outdoors and under a tent that was actually made of PVC and metal pipes with plastic tarp strung up to make walls and a roof. 
We roasted all sorts of meat, seafood, vegetables, and bread on the wire pit and the Korean-style pan.  It was a great Friday night and a very Qingdao experience.  Plus, we had beer in a plastic bag.
So that is my spring-summer-sprummery life as of late.  Basically trying to spend as much time as possible outside and enjoying the seaside resort town lifestyle.  One month left until I leave this beautiful city.  Sigh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey,

It looks like you've left, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions for night life or meeting cool 20-somethings here in Qingdao.

Thanks!

Alison said...

Well hello there,

Yes, as you can tell from my now cobbwebbed blog, I have left Qingdao. Here are my bar suggestions

- LPG: French-owned sports bar with great happy hour from 9-11pm. Pretty relaxed atmosphere with decent food and the QD regular expat scene.
- Le Bang: Happy hour from 10-12am and a DJ every night on the weekend. Tends to pick up only after 11pm or so, but rest assured that there will be people dancing on the bar counter by the end of the night.
- Corner Jazz: The final stop for every good expat's night, a rather dingy bar where most hang out on the curb outside rather than in the bar itself. Drinks are rather expensive, so watch out.
- Q Bar (Shangri-la hotel): Wednesday night ladies drink free and there is a rather entracing pole dancer, who is really nice outside of work too. Also has a filipino band and some fun dancing.
- Club New York: Overpriced, but has a really fun Filipino band that plays requests and is very talented.
- Trend Bar (Ye Chao district): huge Chinese dance club that has alright music, average prices on alcohol and can sometimes be fun just because of how bizarre it is.

I met most of my QD expat friends at these bars, through work or taking Chinese classes at Gede language school on Fuzhou Nanlu (if you're interested in learning some or more putonghua).

Hope this helps~~

Alison