Saturday, November 21, 2009

I'm a student again!

I started Chinese tutoring today. As in, I am the student and I have a teacher. Woohoo! It’s very exciting to be learning Chinese again with a formal teacher. I am doing one-on-one tutoring for two hours twice a week. Each session is 60RMB, which is pretty affordable for me and definitely worth the money.

My Friday teacher is named 田老师 (Tian Laoshi) and he is very nice. We started today on a book called 发展汉语 which is different than my old one. This is actually pretty good for me because it expands my vocabulary and grammar instead of just learning ridiculous advanced words I don’t really need.

It was interesting to be on the other side of the table, especially since I have been a teacher for about a month now (weird, right?). I can empathize with my teacher when he tries to explain a word I don’t know and ends up restating it in a sentence or describing it like twenty times before I get it. I just want to say, “Tian laoshi, I totally get how frustrated you are right now and appreciate that you are not losing your shit explaining ‘TV commercial’ to me in Chinese.”

This was a nice change of pace in my schedule, especially since this means I will be going into town twice a week and getting out of the college campus! This works out for me because the other days I can do lesson planning for my TEN classes and such.

I’m getting to do the other half of what I came here to do: learn more Chinese. I am both student and teacher!

2 comments:

Ethan said...

朋友!I used 发展汉语this past summer! It's not bad. Also if you get a chance, check out Jason Anderson. This guy put on one of the best shows I've ever seen with only an acoustic guitar in hand.

*April* said...

Its really sad that the first time I read Ethan's comment I thought the Chinese symbols were meant to cover up an expletive?

I'm glad you're doing so well! I hope next up on the song agenda is NSYNC! Love/miss you!