Each dialogue needs to be seven lines long, no notes, no book. They have about 20 minutes to prepare after I give them the topics. I've been really happy with my results and I think they are proud of themselves too. They definitely couldn't do something like this when we started!
Here are some of the topics they had to choose from:
- Help a Westerner order Chinese food at a Chinese restaurant
- Discuss the differences between Chinese and Western food with a friend who just got back from America
- Order at a coffee house, but the order comes out incorrectly
- Order at a bar, receive very bad service
- Help a foreigner take a taxi to a tourist location in a city
- You are taking a taxi somewhere and they go the wrong way
- Your friend loses his/her wallet in a mall after buying some new clothes
In true American fashion, I camp out at Starbucks to get my work done with a large mug of coffee (Americano, please). It's been a busy one and this past weekend my good friend Max and his friends from college were also in Qingdao.
In other news, I'm in complete denial that I am leaving next week.