Thursday, March 11, 2010

I think the sky just broke

I hear fireworks almost every day and sometimes even at night (for some reason a lot of them are set off during the day).  Chinese people light fireworks for the New Year, for birthdays, and especially for weddings.  I'm convinced they also just like setting off very large fireworks, too.

I can't blame them.  Fireworks are pretty awesome.  But these aren't the fireworks we buy for the 4th of July over here.  These are the huge boxes that you buy semi-legally to set off in large fields behind a house crossing your fingers that the cops won't show up and write you a ticket.

One of my first nights here, the chefs that work in the school cafeteria set off one of these fireworks boxes right outside my building, scared the shit out of me and a bunch of girls outside, and set off a car alarm.

Yesterday I was riding the bus back to campus and there were several fireworks boxes lined up in a parking lot outside of a restaurant, about 10 feet from a main road with many people standing in the parking lot just watching.  I should also mention that I was the only one craning my neck out the bus to watch these fireworks and the rest of the Chinese people on the bus just continued with their own things, despite the explosions overhead.
No wonder things like the CCTV Tower burned down because of illegal fireworks.  Granted, they also set off fireworks inside a building that didn't have sprinklers.  TIC, man.

On another note, I have a student named Fantasy.  A male student named Fantasy.  He kind of looks like Edward Scissorhands and even wore a silver metallic blazer to class. 
It's just too perfect.

No comments: