Thursday, December 24, 2009

Have yourself a very China Christmas

The idea of Christmas exists in China and the Chinese are all very aware of the holiday.  However, it's like if you hyper-secularized what we have in America and called it a holiday but didn't give anyone any time off.  I know that in America it has become a secular holiday, but here it is even more so because there is no context or deeper meaning (even if you don't believe in God, you still know why we have Christmas).

There are random Christmas decorations in shops, restaurants, and even my gym, mainly consisting of "Merry Christmas" signs, Christmas trees, and cut-outs of Santa.  It's mainly because of the fascination with anything Western.

Here is an article from the People's Daily, everyone's favorite English propaganda paper, about the growing zeal for Christmas in China.

Alison, what did you do this fine Christmas Eve? 

Oh well, gee, I'm glad (maybe not) you asked!  I taught two classes, ate lunch at the cafeteria, then wrote my final exam for my students which starts tomorrow.  Then I ate Japanese food with another teacher and topped that off with a McDonalds hot fudge sundae.

Tomorrow I will be teaching one class and giving them part one of their final exam as a Christmas present.  This will be followed by Skyping family and friends and possibly going downtown for a little taste of home. 

Peace Apples

Another thing that I discovered last week is that Chinese people gift each other apples for Christmas.  They gift wrap them in cellophane and ribbon and present them to their friends, coworkers, and teachers as presents.  This is because the word for apple ( 苹果 ping2guo3) sounds like the word for peace (平安 ping2an1).

Misconceptions galore

This week I had to explain to my students that we don't give apples as presents and explain who Santa is because they see him all the time (圣诞老人, literally "Christmas old man").  They didn't really know the story of Santa except that he gives everyone presents on Christmas.

I also taught the kids several Christmas songs these past two weeks.  First I taught them "Jingle Bells" because all they knew was the "Jingle bells jingle bells" part and then they just kept repeating that throughout the song.  This week I've been teaching them "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" and "Deck the Halls."  I knew they wouldn't do it, but no one sang "Fa ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra."

So that is my little Christmas from over here in the Middle Kingdom.  Merry Christmas to you and your family and may it be filled with love, good food, and a healthy new year.  Be thankful for your family and don't forget to think about those who cannot be home for Christmas -- not me, but the soldiers around the world.  And now from the city I miss desperately...

圣诞快乐!

No comments: