Monday, December 28, 2009

We're having a party...

I got a call this evening from one of my student inviting me to a New Years party that Class D2 was having so I gladly headed over after dinner.

It was so much fun to see my kids in a non-academic environment and just having fun! First we watched a slideshow consisting of various class photos doing different activities. Apparently they have also had a lot of field days and even a dumpling making party! This class is a hard-working and cohesive one, so I'm not surprised by this at all.

I found it amusing that their snacks were mainly fruits, sunflower seeds, peanuts, and very few chips. There was also something about feeding each other bananas, which I dodged because of my fruit allergy. I guess my allergy comes in handy, finally.

Then it was karaoke hour...


 
Then I met their homeroom teacher, who turned out to be really cool. Then a food fight ensued and sunflower seeds, banana peels, orange peels, and various cookies were thrown across the room.

This food fight ended after they ran out of ammo and it was all on the floor. There was also a growing number of girls hiding behind me. Apparently they thought I was immune to the attacks, which was proven wrong later. Don't worry girls, Ms. Alison will protect you!

Then we lit the birthday cake, which had this really awesome flower on it. When you lit the top wick, the petals all came down slowly and there was a huge flower flame in the middle as it played the tune of "Happy Birthday." Oh these Chinese people. This cake was everyone's birthday cake and essentially was for the New Year too. There is an old Chinese belief that you should just celebrate everyone's birthday on that one date, or something like that.

And then this ensued...

 
 
 
I was involved in my first legitimate food fight, complete with icing smashed into my hair and thrown around the room. I eventually washed my face off in the sink, but when it's about 25 degrees F outside, this was not a fun thing to do! I told my kids "this is how much I love you!" and they laughed.

So thank you, class D2, for an eventful Monday night that I will never forget. Just another day in my life.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Hey Alison!
I enjoy reading your blog...especially during work when I should be doing other things. ;)

It amazes me you're teaching, I certainly dont think I have the patience and certainly not the knowledge to do something similar.

Anyway, rock on! And dont flash the 'peace' sign, we all know it's their way of subtly throwing down Victory over US, let's not have that.

Did you hear of this site? I just googled it, have not read it.

http://www.asian-central.com/stuffasianpeoplelike/2008/03/15/35-peace-sign/