Thursday, December 10, 2009

We will become goodfriend

Whenever I have a crappy day and China really has me down, it's my students that get me through.  They're all so sweet and eager to learn (well there are a few exceptions...) that it makes me job easier and the days more exciting.  The weekdays fly by and weekends come faster than they ever have before.  Each class has a personality and I look forward to the days when I have a fantastic class.

Today I had one of my favorite classes and received a letter from a student via his friend (Stone, formerly known as David).  Actually the story how they changed their names is quite funny too.  This happened last week:
David: We want to change our names.
Me: Why? I like your names.
Brandon: We don't like our names.  I want to be "Pine."
David: I want to be "Stone."
Me: Boys, those aren't real names.  Foreigners don't think those are real names.
Brandon/David:  Well, our Hotel English teacher's name is "Apple."
Me: Touche.  You are now Stone and Pine.
Here's the letter from Brandon, the student formerly known as Pine.
Miss Alison:

I'm Brandon that have changed name to Pine.

At first, I'm sorry that I can't go class with you, because I have something must to do on this Friday in my hometown.  And I think when you see this paper, I have gotten home.  I beg your pardon

Every time, when I saw you, I'd like to speak with you.  But I was too nervous to say a word.  For example, the last time we met in Walking Street of LiCun.  I was about to tell you that there are a lot of stealer.  if you don't care of your sththings, it will be stolen.  But Since I was much nervous that I can't say a word.

In future days, I think we will became goodfriend, and you will become our best teacher.

My English and handwriting are poor, if there are somethings wrong please figer finger out.  And I'll change.

At the end, I wish you have a delight lessons with my classmates.

Yours student
Pine (Brandon)
12.9.2009.
Then there is this little illustration with the chinese chacters for "ha... ha..." written.

Cutest teaching moment to date.  I was also in charge of English corner today with another teacher, Craig.  I basically had to speak to a swarm of Chinese students eager to practice their English and we had some really interesting talks.  Hopefully I'll get around to posting that later.  I am exhausted right now.

Currently craving: Cheese or pizza

2 comments:

Sarah said...

yay i'm glad! that's adorable and i'm sure gives you warm fuzzies. unfortunately, the clients at my job don't always give me warm fuzzies... more like headaches haha

Unknown said...

hahaha I wish Pine and Stone well. its funny to read the convos you have in china....somehow 98% of my friends here are from a chinese speaking country..so the txts and convos I have here in boston actually mirror yours in china.. haha i love them. My most recent fave...I said good mother of god...friend from Cheng Du joins in with his own exclamation...'the ass of the christ'... ya..hahahaha