Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"Safe and sound" apple

I mentioned this before, but Chinese students here give each other apples for Christmas.  This is a relatively new trend (as in the past three to four years) among young people, according to my old teacher Linda.  I think it is also because the younger, more Westernized Chinese also want to celebrate Christmas in their own way. 

I wish we gave out fruits in America!  Some other random presents I've received include a mug with a lid and a glow stick.  This is actually the coolest apple I've ever seen.
 
The character is from 恭喜, which means "congratulations" and is frequently said during the new year. I think that there was some sort of sticker put on the apple to prevent the yellow parts from turning red.  Pretty cool stuff!  I don't want to eat it and wish I could bring it back to America.

The student who gave this to me, Myron, also wrote me a pretty sweet note:
Dear Alison:

Hello!

Your lessons are very interesting and you are very funny.  In your class, I feel relax and happy.  Besides, I want to learn more.

Before, I can only say "Hello" to a foreigner.  After I meet you I dare to lots of words.  Although I can't express my meaning well.

I write this letter is to thank you.

In China, apple means "safe and sound".  Now I send this apple to you.  I wish you're always safe and sound in your life.

I also wish that you can still teach us the next year!

Yours,
Myron
I have yet to decide whether I will keep my same classes next year or not.  I do really love my students, but am also open to meeting new ones and having a different experience next semester.  I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.  All I know is that I want Fridays free and all my classes earlier in the day so I can have my afternoons to take my own Chinese classes and work out.

This is my second to last week of classes and my students are being subjected to exam part one: oral comprehension.  Mwahaha. 

1 comment:

~PakKaramu~ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.