Tuesday, January 12, 2010

First Stop: Guilin

Jenna and I arrived in Guilin late Sunday night and settled into our hostel (Wada hostel, if you're ever down here).  Our dorm was really nice and we even had our own little bathroom!  Monday morning we woke up and walked to the market behind the hostel to grab some breakfast.  I bought four yummy baozi for 1kuai and then we walked over to McDonalds, where I discovered that my backpack had been opened and my wallet had been stolen! 
We ran back to the alley, but the baozi woman said that she remembered me putting my wallet back in my bag.  I started panicking, running around the alley and was just about to give up and start calling my banks when I checked my backpack again.  My bag had been opened again and the thief had put my wallet back in my bag, without the cash, but everything else intact!  I'm almost more angry that they snuck by me twice, but I guess its better that I lost 300RMB rather than 300RMB + ATM cards.  So that was my exciting morning.  Grr! 
Jenna and I then headed to the Solitary Peak, this giant stone that is the highest peak in Guilin.  We climbed to the top and even though it was a cloudy day, the view of Guilin was spectacular.  We also walked around the park, that was actually Guilin Normal University.  Those lucky students have such a nice campus!  When we headed back to our hostel, we had a new roommate named Caerin from Ireland.  The three of us then went to the Sun and Moon Pagodas to see them illuminated at night, which was also very pretty. 
We ate at a Northeastern China restaurant which was alright and then we went to a random Irish bar (Caerin's request) and were accosted by some Chinese men.  They always want to speak in English with foreigners, buy foreigners drinks, and then 'gan bei' every five seconds. It was a rather funny night, if anything, but definitely not what I would call "cool" Chinese people. 
We're headed to Yangshuo this afternoon where we will be staying at a hostel called The Giggling Tree, which is owned by a Dutch couple who basically bought a village and turned it into a hostel. It should be interesting. 
Till next time~

2 comments:

Erica said...

Oh what a bastard, that thief! lol. although the adventure sounds fantastic love! You know me, wish I was there as usual! muah! xoxoxoxo

Sarah said...

well i'm glad they just stole your cash. did you leave your backpack somewhere by accident and that's how the thief got into it? reminds me of when john was in france, i think his wallet, passport, laptop, phone, camera, etc. were all stolen so you're quite lucky